LonghornWindows Vista Beta 1 on virtual machines
- WinFX Runtime Components Beta 1
- Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite Beta 2
- WinFX SDK Beta 1
- Oracle 220.127.116.11
- Visual Studio Extensions for WinFX Beta 1
Of those, only 1, 3 and 5 actually have issues. Apart from that, only the order 2, 3, 4 is important.
Issues with Virtual PC
The DVD image size 2.41 GB, more than the 2.2 GB Virtual PC SP1 can actually handle, neither ISO images nor actual DVDs of that size. A virtual CD-ROM is needed. I used Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel for Windows XP.
Issues with VMware 5 Workstation
I’m on VMware 5 for its incredible snapshot features. I heard Vista also installs under 4.5 but I’m not sure. The Longhorn (experimental) template works well for me.
However, you have to live with VGA for the installation. Due to only 16 colors, some of the installation screens are pretty hard to read. VMware Tools should be installed as soon as possible to get a better experience.
The VMware PCI Ethernet Adapter might not be immediately detected by Vista. There are some tips from VMware that allow the driver to be installed. If it isn’t picked up automatically, it can be installed from the vmxnet drivers supplied with the VMware Tools installation.
Issues with the installation partition
Vista Beta 1 cannot install on RAW disks (no or unformatted partitions), i.e. it cannot set them up and use them in one step in the installation.
Either setup the partition and restart the installation or use Shift-F10 and fiddle with diskpart to fix this.
Issues with Visual Studio 2005
Visual Studio must be installed prior to the WinFX SDK. Otherwise, the integration magic doesn’t work.
It is advisable to install some things beforehand, including MSXML6. This may be found also on the Vista DVD under supportwinfxwcumsxml.
Installing Oracle 9.2
There seem to be not many people interested in getting Oracle to run on Longhorn. I wonder why …
To get the latest Oracle 9.2 running, Oracle 18.104.22.168 needs to be installed and then the 22.214.171.124 patch. For some applications (like the one I’m working on), the Oracle Provider for OLE DB 126.96.36.199 is needed as well.
The Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) comes in three different flavors: 2.2, 10.1, 10.2. The latter is for Oracle 10.2 and not covered by this post.
They all require Java and install the 1.1.8 and 1.3/1.4 JRE. Although I prepared for this by getting Java 5 from Sun, Oracle chooses to use the old ones on occasion (or purpose, I’m no Java buff, I wouldn’t know).
Out of the box, none of the installations works. However, Oracle 188.8.131.52 and the OLE DB Provider 184.108.40.206 can be installed by setting AppCompat to Windows XP, either using the Compatibility tab in the Explorer (or Task Manager, neat) or with the Program Compatibility Wizard (Accessories) on setup.exe.
Setting AppCompat for the JRE (javaw.exe) does not help immediately as it gets copied into a temporary directory (aka Bootstrap).
I first installed only the installer (selecting no products to install), set AppCompat and then on a second run the actual database server installation runs through, except making some optional settings on the listener configuration.
Installing 220.127.116.11 needs more tweaking. I copied the files locally and modified the oraparam.cfg in the Disk1install directory.
I cleared the JRE_LOCATION setting and set JRE_VERSION to 1.5.0, so it would ask and allow me to point it to my Java 5.
I set BOOTSTRAP to FALSE so it wouldn’t work off a temporary directory.
Although I also set AppCompat to WinXP on setup.exe but adding "6.0" to the list of "Certified Versions" cannot do much harm, I guess.
With this, the patch ran through just fine.
Now I need to check if the same magic can help install 10.2.0.1, which came out just yesterday.
That’s a whole lot of Beta.